Way back in February I bought a 3 yard piece of fabric from eBay for the bargain price of £19.50. The design was “Metro Café” by Robert Kaufmann, and today I finally got round to making it into a dress. I used New Look 6587 (again) and made view A. I needed about 2¾ yards of fabric, a few scraps of iron-on interfacing, 11 buttons and, of course, thread.
The fabric was an absolute dream to work with; being cotton, it stays put where you place it and responds well to the iron. This really is an essential piece of equipment in the sewing room. As you sew each seam, a good press with a steam iron will open the seam fully and embed the stitches deep into the fabric, so you’ll get the most professional finish possible. The separate components will also fit together more accurately if you iron as you go.
My mission over the next few days is to have my daughter photograph me wearing all these dresses as they don’t look very appealing on a coat hanger. Perhaps I will then update all my Stitchery posts.
… click on any pic to view large …
I am amassing plenty of small pieces of fabric from these recent projects and will soon have to think of a use for them. In the past I’ve used odd bits to make small patchwork quilts for my friends’ babies which are quite delightful. Another possibility is peg bags.